Farbar Recovery Scan Tool, or FRST, is a portable application designed to run on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 in normal or safe mode to diagnose malware issues. It is also possible to run FRST in the Windows Recovery Environment in order to diagnose and fix boot issues.
Farbar will display detailed information about the Windows Registry loading points, services, driver services, Netsvcs entries, known DLLs, drives, and partition specifications. It will also list some important system files that could be patched by malware.
Instructions to for using Farbar
- Turn Off Antivirus, as it blocks its functions and sometime considers it as a malware.
- Install by accepting the disclaimer.
- On the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool, make sure the following boxes are checked
- Click Scan. The scan may take a few minutes to complete.
- A window appears to confirm the scan is complete and FRST.txt is saved to your computer. Click OK.
The FRST.txt log opens after you click OK.
- To confirm Addition.txt is saved to your computer, click OK.
The Addition.txt log opens after you click OK.
- Locate the logs FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
FRST.txt and Addition.txt are saved in the same location as the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool.
You can find copies of FRST.txt and Addition.txt in C:\FRST\Logs.
Screenshots of Farbar